For many the oatmeal looks like bird food and the taste corroborates this affirmation, but for a while this food has been on everyone’s lips and never better said. Its use has soared for both athletes and sedentary, due to its countless properties. The composition of this cereal has a good number of nutrients and vitamins, differentiating them from others in their high protein content.
In comparison with other cereals this is the most significant property, although it does not provide the necessary contribution to cover the daily needs of a person.
Among its properties is also that its carbohydrates are slow absorption which gives the body energy for the whole day and justifies that in almost all diets is consumed in the mornings, at breakfast.
Oats have a high fiber content which helps maintain a good intestinal flora, purify the body in general and regulate cholesterol. It even helps the production and development of new tissue in the body preventing the risk of cancer. All these benefits have made oats a fundamental nutrient in diets, especially in the sports.
The good thing about oatmeal is that it can be eaten raw, cooked (previously soaked) and liquid (oat milk). In addition, this cereal can be accompanied with different foods and drinks thus creating dozens of varied dishes.
Here are some examples of how to take oats.
- Water or oatmeal shake: it is made very easily, with water and sweetened with a little honey, if we have a blender we can replace the water with milk and add some fruit that turns the oatmeal into a rich and tasty milkshake.
- Oatmeal pancakes: an easy and quick recipe for the most lazy or those who have less time. You only need 60 gr of oatmeal (we crush oat flakes and flour and we have it, you do not need to buy it), 6 egg whites, sweetener, a teaspoon of cinnamon and a spoonful of liquid saccharine. We beat everything together and pour the dough into a pan greased with olive oil so that they do not stick. You can accompany the pancakes with fruit, jam, fresh cheese, or any food you can think of.
- Oatmeal with mushrooms burgers: very easy to make. It only needs to be soaked, mixing it later with mushrooms and cooked rice, seasoning it with egg yolk and spices and they are ready to fry.
- Oatmeal cookies are also well known and perfect for tea.
- And if you are looking for something easier: add oatmeal to your salads or at breakfast with a little milk.