QUICHE WITH OATMEAL FLOUR CRUST
Time: 35 minutes.
Serving Size: 8 Sclices
- 3 cups of old fashioned Avelina rolled oats
- 8 eggs
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 lb cooked breakfast sausage
- 2 cups frozen cut spinach
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp fresh chives
- 1/4 tsp pepper1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- To make the crust, start by preheating the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Add the 3 cups of whole grain oats to the blender, and blend until it turns into flour.
- Combine the oatmeal and 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt in a bowl. In a separate bowl, beat 2 eggs, melted butter, and 1 tablespoon of water. Mix the egg with the flour. If it feels a bit dry, add an additional 1 tablespoon of water.
- Press crust into round pan evenly on bottom and edges. Bake the crust for 10 minutes and remove it from the oven.
- While the crust is preparing, make the filling. In a bowl mix the remaining 6 eggs, almond milk, chives, remaining 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, pepper, and grated cheese.
- To assemble the quiche: Sprinkle the cooked sausage and frozen spinach evenly over the quiche crust. Pour in the egg mixture evenly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until quiche is done. To test doneness, insert a knife into the center of the quiche. If it comes out clean, the quiche is done. If it’s still wet, continue baking 3 more minutes and then check again.